Friday 4 November 2011

Artefact of the moment: Embroidered Penguin Classics

I couldn't believe my eyes when I woke from a sleepy haze and checked out the Christmas section Anthropologie has started to collate on their site. I adore Penguin and have sung their praises often over how they are consistently thinking of new ways to inspire people and encourage reading. Whether that be through selling classics of all shapes and sizes at a single rate of £2 or by celebrating the fact that although you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover it still helps to have an aesthetically beautiful bound book adorning your shelf. I thought they achieved this with their reworking of a bunch of Penguin Classics into a totally bewitching clothbound collection that you could forever treasure and slowly build into a complete set. They are the most perfect gifts because they go beyond the story inside; I always find myself cherishing a book that little bit more when a lovely personal inscription has been written to you inside. The few Penguin Clothbound's that I have had gifted to me, I know I will forever treasure. 
So in this beguiling dream Penguin have me spellbound in the past couple of years or so, I have been pretty aware of the jewels they offered, keeping regular checks on their site, that was until I stumbled upon these three.
Commissioned by Penguin, Jillian Tamaki embroidered this trio which rains over the Kindle's parade with it's charming, tactile texture adding to the enduring masterful story told from within. 

More information on Jillian Tamaki's work can be found here on her blog and I found the triad available to purchase on Anthropolgie's site here.
Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 12.00.35

0 comments:

Post a Comment